You can opt-out from either of these at any time
Any questions or concerns please contact us.
It’s been 10 years since Missy Elliott released her incredible album The Cookbook and even longer since ‘Misdemeanor’ redefined the music video genre with her Hype Williams collaborations in the late 90s.
We’ve had a few Missy moments lately thanks to her track Burnin Up with Janet Jackson and her work with Skrillex and Diplo’s Jack Ü. Missy also released two singles with Timberland in 2012, but neither led to a full-scale album release.
We’re hoping that changes today.
WTF (Where They From) is the new collaboration from Missy Elliott and Pharrell and we can’t get enough of it. The high-energy R&B pop track is a checklist of everything fans love about Missy. Incredible flow, instant pop culture catch-phrase lyrics (“Make you think you’re Draking”), and a beat just begging to be danced to. In conclusion, Missy hasn’t missed a single step during her time away from the spotlight.
The new video, Elliott’s first in seven years, is classic Missy to a T, bridging the gap between artistic expression and mainstream appeal. The entire video is one long example of things we’re obsessed with, but here are our favourite moments.
1. When Missy reintroduces another incredible young female dancer. Work it.
2. When Missy dresses like the coolest robot we’ve ever seen.
3. When Missy gives us new dance moves.
4. When Missy rocks Pop Art make up.
5. And the flips it to an all-blue look.
6. When Pharrell and Missy become marionettes.
7. When Missy and her dancers need to stay fresh.
8. When Missy works it out.
9. And then works it out again.
10. When Missy makes us want to wear silver sunglasses.
11. And ride a hoverboard.
12. When Missy makes headlamps fly.
13. And makes plastic outfits fly…again.
Welcome back, Missy. It’s been too long. Now can we get that album?