It’s been 15 years since Will Ferrell and his oversized human body captured our hearts as Buddy in Elf. Instantly becoming a holiday classic, the Jon Favreau-directed film starred Ferrell as Buddy, an orphan who accidentally ended up in Santa’s bag and was raised in the North Pole. When Buddy sets out to find his birth father in New York City, he ends up bringing joy to all those he encounters, whether they want joy or not.
The hilarious holiday comedy is a must-watch each year for fans of the feel-good flick, with Ferrell’s undeniable charm as the world’s tallest elf coming through in every scene. Plus, the lines. So many good lines.
To celebrate the film’s 15th anniversary, we’re counting down the 21 quotes any fan of Elf has definitely said.
1. When something smells delicious.
2. When you see something oversized.
3. When someone looks good.
4. When you see a litre of pop.
5. When you answer the phone with the proper greeting.
6. When you give someone a compliment.
7. When it’s time to decorate the tree.
8. When you congratulate someone.
9. When you get in an elevator and can’t resist pushing every button.
10. When your coffee goes cold.
11. When you discuss science.
12. When you meet someone for the first time.
13. When you see someone hail a cab.
14. When you’re in love and don’t care who knows it.