The Canadian federal election is happening on October 19 and it is important that you get out there and make your vote count. There are millions of non-voters in the country, but every single vote counts. If, for some reason, you’re unsure about voting this year (or in general), here are the top 10 reasons why you should get off your ass and vote now. In fact, scratch ‘should’ — you need to vote, and here’s why.
1. Simple: it’s your right.
2. Your vote will affect your future. You may not think about where your taxes go now, but you may care a few years from now. Now’s the time to have your say.
3. You can impact change. Politicians look at who votes. More youth voters mean more youth issues are being looked at.
4. You have new ideas and energy. New ideas means new solutions. Just engaging could reshape dialogue around certain issues.
5. Get involved. If you vote, you’re more likely to become involved in your community.
6. You are the future leaders. So shape the Canada of tomorrow!
7. You have the most to gain. Whether you’re a student or just starting out on your own, you’re at the prime of your life. Why wait to make your vote count?
8. You influence more than you think. Young people are the ones who drive change. Many movements over the years have proven this.
9. It’s easy and doesn’t take much time to vote.
10. Diversity matters. Different voices and experiences and backgrounds help shape our country.